Thursday, November 28, 2013

We All Need Lighthouses in Our Lives

I heard an urban legend about a naval ship receiving instructions recommending a change of direction:
Ship 1: Please divert your course 15 degrees to the north to avoid a collision.
Radio Response: Recommend you divert your course 15 degrees to the south to avoid a collision.
Ship 1: This is the captain speaking, I say again, divert your course.
Radio Response: No I say again, you divert your course.
Ship 1: I am the captain of the largest battleship in the fleet, I demand you change your course 15 degrees or countermeasures will be undertaken to ensure the safety of this ship
Radio Response: This is the lighthouse. Your call.
I believe that all truths can be circumscribed into one great whole. This is the gospel's plan of happiness. As we learn about each eternal truth and keep the commandments, we have the opportunity to become like our Heavenly Father. However, to do so often requires a change of direction in our lives. Often times we have a perspective different from Heavenly Father. Similar to the captain of the ship, we need to understand the truth about our position. In order to understand the truth about the gospel, perform eternal ordinances, and fulfill our purpose in life we need God’s Church. I am so grateful for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know by following its teachings we can each find the path of light necessary to reach the ultimate goal of obtaining eternal life. 
I have been reflecting on things in my life that don't reflect my true position. One example is technology. I started noticing how much people use technology- such as smart phones, iPads, and TV- to relax and spend time with their family. While this is one way to spend time, it isn't quality. This important lesson was taught by Church Apostle, Elder David A. Bednar, in a talk called, Things as They Really Are.

However, similar to the ship's captain, I refused to acknowledge the revelation of a modern day lighthouse. One day while decompressing after work by watching TV, I received a spiritual prompting to should turn off the TV and read children's books to my kids. Doing so has strengthened my relationship with them. As time passes by, I reflect at some of the most fond memories I have experienced. Sadly watching TV isn't one of them. What is surprising is it's the small things- that I almost avoided at the time because I wanted to relax- which later turned out to be my favorite experiences in life. 

Another example is spending time with my youngest son. After coming home from a three and a half month work trip, my family and I decided to go to a nice hotel to spend time together. At this point my son was just learning how to walk and needed a hand to hold if he wanted to get further than a few steps. Since I felt fatigued it would have been faster and easier to have just carried him. However, I decided he and I were going to walk hundreds of yards together down hallway after hallway. I was surprised to see just how much he could walk by holding my hands as well as the big smile on his face. I wish I had listened to the lighthouses in my life the first time. I promise you that this church is the only place that contains the eternal truths necessary to achieve God's Plan of Happiness. By following the modern day prophet's and apostles' teachings, I have been able to change my life based upon my true position with the Lord. I invite all to partake of this modern day lighthouse.
I'm a Mormon. Published by Guest Blogger, Ross

0 comments:

Post a Comment