Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Gratitude for the Atonement of Jesus Christ

As I ponder in this season of Thanksgiving what I am grateful for, what comes to mind first and foremost is the grace of my Savior Jesus Christ who died so that I might live. I was recently asked, "Why did Jesus have to suffer so much for us?". After all, if God is all powerful then why can’t He just forgive our sins without the need for Jesus Christ to suffer? It’s a fair question and my first response was to explain the eternal nature of laws that even God abides by. Principally the law of justice, the Book of Mormon explains this law and Christ’s role in fulfilling it:
And the law is given unto men. And by the law no flesh is justified; or, by the law men are cut off. Yea by the temporal law they were cut off; and also, by the spiritual law they perish from that which is good, and become miserable forever. Wherefore, redemption cometh in and through the Holy Messiah: for He is full of grace and truth.
In essence, Christ had to die for our sins because the law of justice requires that someone suffer for them. I do not dispute this as truth, however I think there is more to it all than simply Christ dying to fulfill a law. Consider for a moment how you would feel towards someone who had saved your life. No doubt you would be grateful beyond description, it would certainly change how you view that person and may change your entire outlook on life itself. So it is with the Atonement of Jesus Christ. I believe he died for us not just because the law required that someone die for our sins, but so we can humble ourselves in realizing that we are forever indebted to him. And in so doing we become more like God, and more prepared to receive His power and glory.

Ironically it is when we recognize our weaknesses and confess them to God that we exhibit the most strength. The Lord gives us weakness that we may be humble, and if we humble ourselves before God, then will he make weak things become strong unto us (See the Book of Mormon, Ether 12:27)

Elder Richard G. Scott, Church Apostle, said of weakness, “Whereas the Lord warns the unrepented rebellion will bring punishment, when the Lord speaks of weaknesses, it is always with mercy.” It is through the mercy of Jesus Christ’s Atonement that we can overcome our weaknesses and make what was once weak, strong. Had it not been for the Atonement, I believe that strengthening that comes through humility would not occur when we repent.

And so it is this Thanksgiving, I give thanks not only to Jesus Christ for what He did for me, but also to God for structuring His plan in a way that could help me realize my dependency on Christ helps me come closer to Him.

Published by Brock 
1. The Book of Mormon. 2 Nephi 2:5-6.
2. Church Apostle, Richard G. Scott. Personal Strength Through the Atonement of Jesus Christ. October 2013, General Conference of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

0 comments:

Post a Comment