Friday, November 29, 2013

Gratitude for the Gospel of Jesus Christ

I joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints when I was two months shy of my 19th birthday. I was a freshman in college at a small private university a long way from home, and to say that my family was disappointed with this decision is a grand understatement.

I learned about the LDS Church, or “the Mormons” when I was in high school. I had made friends that were Mormon, but I'd never thought twice about what that meant. They were my friends who didn't wear tank tops when it got hot outside. I thought that was weird, but didn't question it much. It wasn't until my sophomore year of high school that I even bothered to ask what “being Mormon” meant. I got the last seat on the bus after an away swim meet, and it was next to the quietest girl I'd ever met. I had never heard her say more than two or three words in a row, and only when spoken to. So I knew I was in for a long three-hour bus ride when I sat next to her. I could either sit in silence, staring at the seat in front of me for the next three hours, or:

“Hey, aren't you a Mormon?”
“Yes.”
“Um, sorry, what is a Mormon?”

When we got off the bus three hours later, she was still talking! Her name was Erin, and she had just told me everything she knew about being a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. My head was reeling from the story about a boy finding gold plates that were buried in New York and translating it into the Book of Mormon almost 200 years ago, and the stories of Lehi, Nephi, Jacob, Alma, Alma the Younger, and...what were those other names? She told me about prophets and apostles, General Conference, missionaries, seminary and family home evening. I was so overwhelmed. I was curious. Erin surprised me with her genuine love of “being a Mormon” which enabled her to get over her otherwise paralyzing shyness.

While there were some “defining moments” when friends actively told me what they believed and taught me the gospel, most of what I remember are not specific instances or words spoken, but the impressions that they left on me.

It was almost four years after first talking to Erin that I was finally baptized. My family was very much opposed to the idea, and had asked me not to come home. My sisters didn't speak to me for months. My formerly close relationship with my mother was so tense that we often ended phone calls in arguments. It was never an easy choice to become a Latter-day Saint, but I knew both in my heart and in my mind, just as I know now, that the gospel of Jesus Christ has been restored to the earth. I know that there are living prophets and apostles sent to lead and guide us back to Jesus Christ. They are His special witnesses. I know that the Book of Mormon is a true and ancient record comparable to the Holy Bible. Having that sure testimony gave me courage and hope that our relationships would repair, and having the gospel in my life was worth every sacrifice. 

      I am most grateful for all of the friends that I made in Oregon that lived their lives in such a way that I would want to be like them, to be as happy and joyful as they were. There was Susan's family who were our neighbors and gave us a Book of Mormon for Christmas when my family moved to Oregon. There was Dayton, Lakin, Chanelle, Shanna, Phil...all of whom were just older than me, but examples in every way. Danielle, Erin, Tiffany, Camilla and Janet were good friends that took the time to explain things to me that I wasn't familiar with. I yearned to have family relationships like Elicia, Skyler, BriAnne, Emily, Jordan, Grant and Diane had. They actually liked spending time with their family! My friends Brian and Adam answered, or attempted to answer, every question of doctrine and every point of anti-Mormon literature I could throw at them. 


I am so grateful for these friends and many, many more who stuck with me through thick and thin, and whom I still call good friends today. I am grateful to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and for the many blessings of the gospel of Jesus Christ. I see these blessings in my life every day, just as I saw them in the lives of my friends in high school. I wanted whatever it was that made them such hopeful, happy people, and the message of the gospel is that we can all have the joy and peace and hope of Jesus Christ now. Happiness does not have to wait for heaven—it can be here and now through the gospel of Jesus Christ. 

By Guest Blogger: Brianna

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful testimony, Brianna! Thank you for sharing it. Your courage in making sacrifices for your beliefs is very inspiring to me.

    ReplyDelete