Thursday, November 7, 2013

November Theme: Gratitude for Having an Eternal Family

We are a little late rolling out our theme for November… but we are excited to take this month to discuss the family, and our gratitude for having an eternal family!  This theme is near and dear to our hearts, because this is the stage of life we are in right now! 
When I was leaving the hospital with my first little baby boy, I felt overwhelmed with the responsibility of caring for a new little person. It was all very new to me; I couldn't believe they would send me home with a brand new baby without first checking off a list of reading material or how-to parenting videos, or maybe even requiring me to 'test out' before leaving the hospital. What were they thinking?
I did a lot of reading on my own, I consulted my mom, and a lot of friends with several children, and I tried my best to “do it right”.  Of course, I didn’t always do it right, I messed up a lot, and I felt grateful that my first child was a boy, because I figured that he was tough!  Thankfully he, and I, survived through my parenting mishaps.

Being a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints also helped a lot!  We believe that the family is fundamental in society, and we are often taught about family in church.  There are even parenting classes offered!  I love “The Family: A Proclamation to the World”, a proclamation given by the prophet and apostles of our church, which outlines exactly how God expects us to run our family!  In this most important work, I am not left to wonder what is right in God’s eyes. 

Through this inspired document, we know that we are created in God’s image, and that we are raising God’s spiritual sons and daughters!  We understand that it is a commandment from God to have children.  We know that a man and a woman should be married as husband and wife, and be equally united.  We know that we need to base our family on the teachings of Jesus Christ.  Our home should be a place of love, a place where values are taught, a place where we learn to work and play together.  Where fathers preside in love and righteousness, and mothers are primarily responsible for the nurturing of their children.  We know that through the blessings of the temple, our family can be united eternally!  (… Which means that even after we depart this life, because we have been sealed as a family in the temple, I will continue to be married to my husband, and my children will still be mine, in Heaven.)
All of the important details about the family are laid out very neatly. When there are so many other voices in the world with differing opinions (some very adamantly promoting their point of view), I have a sure knowledge of what is right. I don't have to wonder if the world is overpopulated; I know the Lord created the earth for our use, and there is room enough for all of His children. When it comes to my position on marriage and having children, I know it is what God wants for us. In His love for us, He has explained the best way for us to be happy!

I love my little family, and I know that I am doing God’s work!  What a humbling responsibility it is to be raising his spirit son and daughter. (Prior to our mortal existence here, each spirit son and daughter lived with God in Heaven.)  Elder Neil L. Anderson, one of the 12 apostles, said, “When a child is born to a husband and wife, they are fulfilling part of our Heavenly Father’s plan to bring children to earth.”  I believe there is still part of heaven in our newborn babies, them having so recently left our Heavenly Father’s presence.  I have had glimpses of their divine identity.  And I have the blessing of teaching and mothering them!  

Published by: McKell

0 comments:

Post a Comment