Saturday, November 30, 2013

Of Primary Importance: I Will Go; I Will Do!

Because the LDS Church does not have paid clergy, the members are asked to serve each other. Everyone from our bishop to the nursery teachers serves voluntarily and without pay.

Although we serve voluntarily, sometimes we're asked to serve in ways we never would have dreamed of volunteering for ourselves.

About a year ago, I was happily serving as the Webelos Den Assistant for our congregation's Cub Scout pack, performing science experiments and playing marbles, all in the name of helping the boys earn activity badges. Until one day, when a leader of our congregation asked me to serve instead as the Primary chorister--the music leader for the children ages 18 months to 11 years. In a moment of panic, several memories raced through my mind:

    1. The one time in my life I almost didn't escape singing in front of other people: second grade music class when everyone had to take a turn singing a solo--even if you didn't want to. The very thought was petrifying to my 8-year-old self, and so when the teacher asked if she had missed anybody, I didn't raise my hand. Miraculously, she didn't notice that she had skipped me, and I was spared the humiliation. (I probably shouldn't even be telling this story on a Mormon blog, since honesty is one of our basic tenets, but to me it seemed a modern-day miracle.)
    1. And the only previous experience I'd had teaching children to sing, which was a first-grade holiday program. It succeeded only thanks to my fellow teachers and quite in spite of my ineptitude.

And so I asked my leader if he was sure he had the right person. You see, although I love music, I prefer to enjoy it from behind the piano or in the orchestra pit. And anyone who's heard me sing probably prefers that I enjoy it from there, too.

But the next thought that came to my mind was part of a song I had learned from my Primary music leader years ago:

I will go; I will do the thing the Lord commands.
I know the Lord provides a way; he wants me to obey.
(Listen to or read the full song here)

So I accepted the invitation to serve in a way that seemed totally outside the realm of my abilities. And now, one year later I know it was the right choice.

Have I miraculously become a better singer?  Ha, certainly not. The kids can attest to this fact. They still like to point out that "we can't hear you!" anytime I try to sing a line of a song by myself. Am I now comfortable singing by myself in front of others?  Well, maybe I'm not as petrified as I used to be, but only if none of my audience is more than 11 years old.

But what I have gained is an opportunity to again use the skills and creativity I learned by being an elementary school teacher. I've gained a multitude of new little friends, whom I have grown to love more and more as I've served them and as they squeal my name or wave shyly when we pass in the hallway at church.

clip_image001

And perhaps, best of all, I've gained the chance to learn and relearn the beautiful songs of the Primary Children's Songbook. They teach, in the most basic terms, what the gospel of Jesus Christ is all about.
The songs explain our beliefs about life in heaven; about prayer, thankfulness, and reverence; about the mission of the Savior; about the principles of the gospel; about the importance of home, family, and heritage; about the beauty of nature and the seasons; and about the need for fun and activity. (from Preface to the Children's Songbook)

Want to know what the song the kids and I worked on first?  It goes like this:
I will go; I will do the thing the Lord commands.
I know the Lord provides a way; he wants me to obey.

For an infographic about our lay ministry, click here
Children's Songbook Cover source

Published by Shellie

0 comments:

Post a Comment