Friday, December 6, 2013

Christ Centered Christmas Traditions

“It is the most wonderful time of the year,” and I love it! There are friendly greetings with checkers at the grocery store, extra waves of ‘hello’ from neighbors and passersby, and happy gift giving. I love to pull out my Christmas decorations, drink hot chocolate, and shamelessly stream Christmas music. It is also a time when my thoughts focus on Christ.

However if we are not careful, Christmas can also become too busy and stressful; there is so much baking to do, and calendars are filled with so many good things to fit in before December 25th. 
Our prophet, President Thomas S. Monson, said, “And yet, Christmas is what we make of it. Despite all the distractions, we can see to it that Christ is at the center of our celebration. If we have not already done so, we can establish Christmas traditions for ourselves and for our families which will help us capture and keep the spirit of Christmas.”

This is what I hope for… Though it is fun for kids to fantasize of elves working hard in the workshop, I try not to emphasize Santa and his sleigh of presents.  I do try to emphasize the Savior and his birth through our holiday celebrations.  I hang up the picture of Mary, Joseph, and baby Jesus that first Christmas, and I pull out our nativity sets- for decorations and reminders.  I tell the story of Christ’s birth, and I try to teach my children what Christmas is really all about… our Savior, love for others, and giving good gifts.

I began a new tradition a few years ago when my mother-in-law gave me the book “A Christ-Centered Christmas” by Emily Freeman.   I love her simple ideas on how to make our Christmas traditions Christ-centered. She talks about each of the characters from that first Christmas, their roles, and their gifts to the Savior.  It has helped me to see Mary, Joseph, the Angel, the Shepherds, the Wise Men, Simeon, Anna, and the Baby Jesus in a slightly new light, and I treasure their contributions. It has inspired me with new ideas and ways I can follow their examples. Each year I re-read this book and ponder what gift I might give to Christ this year.

President Monson said, “As we seek Christ, as we find Him, as we follow Him, we shall have the Christmas spirit, not for one fleeting day each year, but as a companion always.”2

We invite you to share with us your Christ-centered Christmas traditions. We hope as we share ways to remember Christ in this season, you might find something that will help you to better remember our Savior and the miracle of his birth.

1. President Thomas S. Monson, “Because He Came” Dec. 2011

Published by: McKell

0 comments:

Post a Comment