Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Book of Mormon Prophecies of Christ

How the Book of Mormon prophecies of Christ changed my life
By Guest Blogger: Walter Lenel

I grew up without much in the way of Christian teachings.  I was not impressed with the conduct of many people I knew who professed Christianity and went to church regularly.  In my view, there was no strong reason to believe in God, so by the time I was into my teens, I was confident that agnosticism or atheism were the appropriate choices for a person of integrity and intellectual honesty.  Organized religion was a complete turn-off.

I knew that the Bible prophesied of Christ and testified of His earthly ministry in the Old World, but because of my negative feelings about religion, I did not allow it to influence me or touch my heart.  When I began to investigate the teachings of Mormonism as a teenager, however, my heart began to soften and my mind started to open.  I really wanted to know not only whether He lived on the earth and did the things the scriptures said He did, but whether He was alive now.

In addition to really reading the Bible for the first time, I began to study the Book of Mormon in earnest.  I was absolutely amazed at how often this book talked about Jesus Christ and His teachings, and at how it spoke of Him.

One of the most powerful things to me about the Book of Mormon is the absolute clarity and surety with which it prophesies of Jesus Christ, before His coming.  From Nephi, the first prophet to write in the book, to another Nephi who lived centuries later, the message about Christ is unmistakable: He would be the literal Son of God; be born of Mary in Bethlehem; set a sinless example of love, service, and righteousness; and perform the Atonement which allows all people to be resurrected (without condition) and saved (if they choose) through His power.

In the very first book, 1 Nephi, the prophet Nephi testifies, “And behold he cometh, according to the words of the angel, in six hundred years from the time my father left Jerusalem.”  (1 Nephi 19:8)  Later Nephi was shown a vision that included Jesus being born of Mary, healing the sick, being judged and crucified. (1 Nephi 11:31-33

In one of the most amazing sermons ever recorded, the prophet and king named Benjamin prophesied of Christ also.  He spoke of His name and His mother’s name, His works of love and miracles, the nature of His incomprehensible physical and spiritual suffering to atone for our sins, His resurrection, etc.  See Mosiah 3: 5-11.


As the birth of the Savior drew much closer, other prophecies of Christ were recorded in the Book of Mormon—one was only 5 years before His birth (and the prophet specified that – see Helaman 14:2-8), and the other was the day before His birth (3 Nephi 1:13)!

The great detail and specificity, and therefore the great power in these recorded prophecies, have always impressed me deeply.  As I have pondered these things, along with the testimony of biblical prophets, it has been obvious to me that either Jesus Christ and His atonement (and the scriptures which testify of Him) are either an elaborate fairy tale and hoax, or else they are the truth.  I knew I could not depend just on logic, reason, or other people in making up my mind.  I would need for God to tell me personally, through his Spirit.  Then it wouldn’t matter what anyone else said or thought, or what happened to me.

I am more grateful than I can express that I have asked for and received the spiritual witness that the scriptures are true.  Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God.  He lived on the earth and wrought the Atonement.  He lives now, and loves me and all of us unconditionally.  It is worth every effort to draw close to Him.  This knowledge has brought indescribable peace and joy into my life, and continues to inspire me to never give up trying to follow Christ’s perfect example.

0 comments:

Post a Comment