Thursday, October 31, 2013

Happy HaLLOwEeN!

This Halloween we had pumpkins, pirates, chickens, lady bugs and witches parading our house!  Lots of excitement, too much candy, and tons of fun!


We had our traditional dinner in a pumpkin...


And we invited the missionaries over, along with a friend!  We always like having them over!  My kids LOVE the missionaries, and they are fun for us to hang out with.  If you ever see them, invite them in!  They would love to meet you!


We had a discussion, with our friend and the missionaries, about the Holy Ghost.  Unlike ghosts and goblins of the Halloween variety, we believe the Holy Ghost is the third member of the Godhead. He is a personage of spirit, without a body of flesh and bones.  He is often referred to as the Spirit, the Holy Spirit, the Spirit of God, the Spirit of the Lord, or the Comforter." 

I pray daily to have his companionship, as he plays the roles a best friend would.  He looks out for us, and guides us in our decisions.  Warns us of danger, teaches "the truth of all things", and brings comfort.  He fills us with feelings of peace, *hope, and love. "He is a witness or testifier of the power of God, the divinity of Christ, and the truth of the restored gospel." 

We can all feel the Holy Ghost at times, but to have his companionship always, you must be a baptized member of the church and have the gift conferred on you by a Priesthood blessing.
When I start my day by seeking the guidance of the Holy Ghost, and trying to focus on Christ, my day always goes so much better!  It is not that my situation changes, neither does it prevent my kids from acting up, or things from going wrong... but my perspective changes, I remember the big picture better, and little things don't bother me so much.  

Also I am able to better follow promptings given by the Holy Spirit, because I am "in tune" to receive them.  I might pick up on a prompting to visit a friend, to call a sibling, or to better understand the needs of my children.  I can also feel the Lord's love for me and for others much more when I have the Holy Ghost with me.

The Holy Ghost is the greatest gift we can receive!  I believe there is no better feeling, than feeling the presence of the Holy Ghost in my life!  And I feel more assurance and a surer knowledge from this spiritual sense, or feelings from the Holy Ghost, than I do from any other reasoning or tangible knowledge or evidence.
If [we] would open [our] hearts to the refining influence of this unspeakable gift of the Holy Ghost, a glorious new spiritual dimension would come to light.

Many times, I have relied on feelings or promptings from the Holy Ghost as I have made tough decisions in my life, or want confirmation that the path I have chosen is right for me.  I have experienced the light and truth he brings, as well as the peace, comfort, and love. What a great blessing it is to me!

References:
If you want to learn more about the Holy Ghost, his roles, and how to keep his companionship, read this is a great talk!  "The Unspeakable Gift", by Elder Joseph B. Worthlin, of the 12 apostles.

Published by: McKell

1 comment:

  1. Great posts, Jen and Mckell! I hope you get many visitors to the blog. Sam told me about it.

    ReplyDelete