One of my favorite things about the teachings of the gospel is their practical application in these kinds of situations. I'll start with two of the teachings I keep in mind when making resolutions:
- -Our weaknesses can become our strengths.
- -The Atonement helps to change us for the better.
- -Our time is precious, so we should try to make the most of it.
- -We learn and improve “line upon line”, meaning we take who we are and build on it little by little, not all at once.
“Men [and women] are, that they might have joy” 2 Nephi 2: 25.
- “Men [and women] should be anxiously engaged in a good cause, and do many things of their own free will…
“For the power is in them, wherein they are agents unto themselves. And inasmuch as men do good they shall in nowise lose their reward” D&C 58: 27-28.
Back to four years ago. To fix my problem, I decided to take a week or two to ask myself what kinds of skills, knowledge, possessions, relationships, and memories might I like to take with me into my old age? It was a powerful exercise that helped me prioritize my efforts and direct my focus.
- -An active mind
- -An active, healthy body that can do most of the things I’d want it to do
- -A basic knowledge of world history (so that I can better understand my place in it)
- -Lots of relaxed days with my family like people used to have before we all became overachievers
- -An ability to make killer artisan breads
- -Many creative endeavors
- -Lots of fun family traditions
- -A heaping pile of great books
- -Some formal education beyond my bachelor’s degree
- -Steady service
- -A husband who knows I wouldn’t trade him
- -Kids who are sure I love being their mom
- -Healthy retirement funds
- -Peace of mind over the effort I’ve given to the Lord
- -When possible, limit my personal computer time to when the girls are napping or in bed.
- -Finish reading Jane Eyre and two other classics.
- -Experiment with three new sourdough bread recipes.
- -Have two picnic/berry-picking family days this Summer and one campout.
- -Get to church 5-10 minutes early to prepare spiritually for the meeting.
- -Show more interest in Hubby’s love of B-list movies.
Purpose #1- To look hot.
Wishing you a very happy and meaningful New Year. (Zip.)
Published by Guest Blogger Janna